February 12th, 2009
Hey guys I've noticed on our live chat that a lot of people end up asking similar questions about Overgrowth. I am happy to answer them individually but I bet a lot of other people have these questions as well.
- When will Overgrowth be released?
- What are Overgrowth's system requirements?
- How will Overgrowth be different from Lugaru?
- What kinds of characters will there be in Overgrowth?
- Will Overgrowth be an open world game?
- What is the Overgrowth story-line?
- How will Overgrowth multiplayer work?
- How much does it cost to preorder Overgrowth?
- Why should I preorder Overgrowth?
- Can preorders be transferred to Steam?
- I preordered Overgrowth but I've lost my key, what's the easiest way to get it back?
- Does David Rosen really exist?
- Will the Whale Man be in Overgrowth?
- I have a question that's not on this list. How can I contact Wolfire?
We do not really know when Overgrowth will be completed at this point and without a publisher or any external investors, we have the luxury of being able to release it when we want to. We will take as much time as is needed to get the game done right. If we tried to pick a specific date right now, we would probably get it wrong and disappoint a lot of people.
With that said, every week we give our preorderers a new build, so even though the game is not officially released, it is possible to get a hold of it. We will have a better idea of how long this project will take as we continue to make progress.
Overgrowth is too early in its development for us to know for sure. We are supporting Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux. Overgrowth will support a number of graphics settings to help it run on older computers.
While Overgrowth will be inheriting the spirit of Lugaru's tried and true combat system, it will also benefit from every cutting edge feature that our new Phoenix Engine has to offer. Fans can expect better graphics, better physics, more characters, more moves, great mod support, and co-operative multiplay.
We are planning to include 5 character types in Overgrowth: rabbits, wolves, cats, rats and dogs. The main character is Turner, the rabbit from Lugaru.
Many people have asked this, and everyone seems to have a slightly different definition of what an "open world" is. You can expect the Overgrowth single-player campaign to be fairly linear like Lugaru with hopefully a few major decisions along the way to spice things up.
Overgrowth will pick up a few years after Lugaru left off in the same universe. Turner will again be the main character but I'm not supposed to leak any major plot points just yet.
Our primary focus will be adding some co-operative, multiplayer elements. We're not sure yet how many players can be supported at the same time but initial multiplayer tests have been successful.
USD $29.95. You can preorder Overgrowth here.
1. You get admitted to an exclusive club called the Secret Preorder Forum or SPF. I am bound by the 1st rule of SPF (and 2nd and 3rd...) not to talk about what happens in SPF but it is full of Overgrowth discussions, alpha testing stuff, and people showing off modding screenshots and such. For an example of the kinds of things that get created in SPF, click here.
2. You get to download our weekly alpha builds. Fans have enjoyed watching us build Overgrowth from the ground up. Now many are enjoying building their own houses and jumping around with rabbot. Every week, new stuff is added, until we are done (and then hopefully fans will take over with our modding tools!)
3. You get that warm fuzzy feeling of knowing that you are helping the small indie company that is Wolfire survive in the crowded and noisy space of the gaming industry. Thanks to fan support we were able get better computers and more coffee. Both have helped us code faster.
We have no publisher or external investors, so we are in a pretty unique situation where we are getting funded by fans. When you preorder, you also get the Mac, Windows, and Linux versions of Overgrowth, and we get 100% of the money. If you order through, for example, Steam later on, you will only get the Steam version and we will not get your full support.
Yes! See this blog post here. Not to be one upped by Steam, Stardock's Impulse has agreed to offer the same deal, so you can get the Mac, Windows, Linux, Steam, and Impulse versions of Overgrowth upon release by preordering.
Some people on the forums (I'm talking about you Nutcracker) have questioned the existence of our fearless leader David Rosen. David is very real. You've heard him speak in the Design Tours and our ModDB interview and you've seen his picture. Shun the nonbelievers, shun!
At first the Whale Man was intended to be a joke but because of his warm reception we're not so sure any more. We'll have to wait and see. Be warned, he is often very disagreeable.
Come talk to us! We are pretty unique in the fact that we are reachable on instant messengers in addition to email, forums, etc. Also please feel free to reply with questions that I missed underneath this post and I'll add the important ones up top.