July 3rd, 2018
The 1.3 update for Overgrowth is now available. This will be the final update of Overgrowth for now, and we will be pausing development on the game.
In this update, we added better controller support, and support for language mods.
Controllers now work in menus, and can be rebound inside the game instead of having to hand edit the config file. You can also rebind controls for each of the players, when using the local multiplayer or split screen support.
To show off the new language localization support, we've added a mod that uses Google Translate to add support for a few different languages.
We've also made many bug fixes, some performance optimizations, and a bunch of improvements to the editor and to mod scripting.
We added a lot of modding features to hotspots, which should allow modders to make modding tools that are much easier to use. Hotspots now support linking through the editor, and support custom GUIs.
Here's a summary of all the changes in the 1.3 release. You can find the full change log in this document.
- Added walking and bound it to left control by default
- AI increases aggression a bit, while they are the group leader
- Made it possible to navigate the main menu and pause menu with game controllers
- Added ability to rebind game controller inputs in game
- Added per-controller rebinding support
- Improved key binding and controller binding text in tutorials
- Made "Controller" settings menu appear/disappear when unplugging or plugging in gamepad
- Added a "Wolfire machine translations" mod. Contains examples of translations - no promise of quality!
- Added settings in-game to select the current language
- Made it possible to define arbitrary languages via mod.xml in Languages tag
- Moved existing Overgrowth, Lugaru, and Therium 2 dialogues into separate files to make them easier to localize
- Added check box in settings menu to quickly enable/disable frame rate display (without having to enable debug UI)
- Turned off full-quality shadows in levels where they aren’t actually visible (better performance)
- Added quick item loader UI (CTRL + L). Hit CTRL + [Number] in that menu to quick-pick item
- Added the ability to add connections to and from hotspots, and to launch a hotspot's custom editor (if they're built for it)
- Made removing character also remove attached objects (but not inventory)
- Added ability to connect and disconnect objects in the object inspector
- Added button to open dialogue editor from object inspector
- Moved collision paint visualization to "view" menu
- Overgrowth Story → Canyon Ambush: Removed one of the 4 enemies in the first wave
Therium 2 story
- Therium 2 Story → e/a (Collinpeak): Improved navigation jump node placement
- Attempted fix for crash when launching the game on old AMD GPUs
- Changed "Could not open GameController" error into a log message instead of a dialog
- Fixed crash when trying to launch game if game is set to now-unplugged monitor
These are just a few of the changes in this update; you can find the full changelog here.
If you find any bugs, please email a full description along with your system specs to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you liked this video, be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel.
If you'd like to see real-time news about Overgrowth, you can follow us on Twitter at @wolfire.
Also, feel free to support us by purchasing Overgrowth!
Be sure to watch it in HD!